Saturday, November 17, 2012

Adding 2" to inner wheel houses


July-Sept, 2012
Cut and fab minitubs.      Based on the tire size that I want in the rear of this car there needed to be some work done to the wheel houses.   At the moment I am looking in the size range of 305x45x18 or about a 12” wide by 27” tall tire.    Somewhere in that zone anyway.    We took a picture with a 31” tall truck tire crammed inside the wheel well, and I do believe it is a little too much tire.   J
The first thing I did was to cut out the inner wheel houses so I could weld in two extra inches, taking the wheel house all the way back to the rear frame rail.  Yes, there are companies that sell pre-fabbed oversize inner wheel houses for this very purpose, but why spend $300 when you can just cut out the old and weld them back in place with an added 2” strip of metal your son has given you????  (Roof AC Unit)  That is a much better plan if you ask me.    Besides, you have to save any money you can especially when your so-called "friend" has ripped you off for $4,800 on the project.
Cutting them out was very easy, I just used the cutting wheel attached to one of the Harbor Freight grinders that I push to the limit almost daily. The torture we administer on these cheap $10.00 grinders almost make them worth their weight in gold.  (Almost)  Most of the wheel house could be cut from the inside of the car, but a few inches had to be cut from below.  The portion where the package tray support ties into the wheel house could not be cut from inside, and was cut from outside the car.    Once out, it was a simple matter of cleaning up the edges for welding.  I also notched the flange lip and turned it back into the inside of the car as a base for the bottom of the wheel house.  The cutout pieces fit quite nicely when slid over 2” and I was excited to see the finished product.  I cut two long strips of sheet metal that were 3” wide.  (1/2” for each side to overlap and weld and then the 2” added space)  
Working slowly with the pieces, clamping them carefully to keep the edges straight I moved around the length welding them together.  Once the strip and inner wheel house were welded, I test fit and adjusted as needed into the car.  There wasn’t much modification needed here, they still fit pretty well.  When I welded in the pieces I started with the top area or the new strip of sheet metal where it attaches to the outer wheel house.  I welded this length all the way, then using clamps and a little bit of weight to hold the bottom section down flush I started welding this area to the floor of the car.   It all sealed up very nicely and is quite solid.
In moving the wheel house over to the rear frame rails we had to remove the axle bumpers completely but I will replace them on the inside of the frame rail with a different sort of axle bumper.  Next will be some work on the outer wheel houses and trunk close out panels.

Stock passenger side before cutting.
 

Stock driver's side before cutting.
 

Driver's side after cutting.
 

Passenger side after cutting.
 

Test fit before welding driver's side.
 

Test fit passenger side before welding.
 

Welding strip onto inner wheel house, and still learning to weld sheet metal.  It ain't easy!!
 

All welded in here.  Welds were all done on the outside surface of the tubs.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment