Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Work done around May 11th, 2012



Recently me and dad have been taking apart the mustang. Starting the restoration process, and I’m trying to identify as many parts, pieces, hardware and such as I can. Marking them and storing in Ziplocs.     Yes the bumpers will be painted as well.


Actually I had already purchased another hood from a swap meet years ago as the original had too much rust through, including into the substructure. The same goes for rust on the trunk lid but I just bought a reproduction for that. The rear valence is quite usable but will undergo some major changes or possibly some new sheet metal custom fabbed to fit my ideas. This is just one aspect of the overall plan that I will get into and try to describe soon. (I will talk a little more about all the ideas for this build once I get caught up to date on current progress, which is several posts out yet.)

IThere is a lot to do there, a lot of straightening and rust removal. This should keep him busy for awhile, but as it turns out I will be much slower in the readying of the body shell.  In fact, me and dad are still working on this part of the project, trying to do as much as we can as quickly as we can. Seems we’re really not all that quick when it comes to sheet metal and structure work, but we’re having a good time doing it!

 
 
 
Dad working on getting those bent hood hinges off.  I'd sure like a pair of billitt hinges but just can't really justify the price range there. I'll be figuring out something else there.

 
Dad working inside the door panel, removing the guts.  I have no idea how he got his arms in there, I know mine would barley reach to unbolt all the items inside the bowels of the doors.  What a job, really dreading that one going back together.

 
Over all shot without the doors and hood, just getting started.

 
First load of goodies.

 
There are a few minor twists up front where it took a little hit or two at some point in it's life.  Some vey minor bracket straightening will be needed. That is dad's El Camino in the background.  It's covered right now and raised up on the lift since we have been doing so much grinding and dirty work.

 
A few parts to go into the pile.  A few will be getting reused, a few others are just not up to the task of being called on again.  Those that are not reused will be getting sold on Ebay.

 
Trunk lid and tail lights off.  The rear will be getting a bit of a redesign, both inside and out.  I just gotta scratch that itch.

 
Parts is parts...
 

No comments:

Post a Comment