Friday, October 19, 2012

Work done around May 28th, 2012



Removing interior—We have been working on getting this old interior out, stripped, torn down, removed!!  This is a fun job, there is a lot of history held inside of these old cars.  Interesting to see what you uncover in all the hidden areas, under the back seat, under the carpet, behind the dash…mostly I was really interested in finding that build sheet.  Hoping  the whole time that it was tucked safely up in the springs under the rear seat, but alas it was not.   Its home was under the carpet in the front passenger side floor pan which was all but rusted through.  So you can imagine the condition of the build sheet, only the corner that was up on the seat pan had survived the 20 year stint of sitting outside with leaky cowls.  So I took a few pics and saved the remains.

The interior really came out easy, I think mostly cuz dad did alot of the work while I was at my day job.  I did get to help some though and the main dash frame was the toughest to get free.  Hidden bolts are very tricky.  You just can’t remove them if you can’t find them.   The sneaky guy I’m talking about is the one hidden under the bracket above the brake pedal assembly. 

 I’ve stripped the old seat covers off the front seats already and have new seat covers I bought twenty years ago.  (that will be a winter project working inside)  I do think I will get new seat foam as well, these really aren’t in too bad of shape but I think the covers will better fit the new foam, fewer wrinkles, fuller fit.  The back seat is in great condition and I will be using black dye to color that and all the other interior pieces that are of non-metallic manufacture.  New headliner of course, a lot of new parts inside actually.  So many in fact that I’m sure I couldn’t list all of them now.  Another note on the back seat…since I have added two inches to the inner wheel houses there is less room for that back seat.  I will have to figure out something for that, I have no plan just yet.  I was just hoping to deal with it somehow when it comes time.  I know that’s not the best approach but I’m not too worried about it.

The wiring harness is scary bad, it has been tapped into a few times up under the dash for what I have no idea.  Several areas of the harness in the engine bay is long gone, meals for the local rodents.  I am still debating on it, but leaning towards using some Painless wiring.  Just wish the price were lower.

Once again, as with everything else we have removed, things are cataloged, and marked for future identifying. 
 
The dash pad had been removed years ago to try and trace down a non-charging issue.  Never found it.


There's the dash pad.  The back seat is in really great shape.  Still strong and no rips or tears at all.  It will be getting used again.  Maybe...as I mentioned earlier, the inner wheel houses are more narrow now so we shall see.
 

These guys will need some love!  Several options here, not sure which way I'm gonna go yet.  I do know the interior will be black though.

There's dad working on door panel and door guts.  This shot is actually earlier since we removed the doors previous to all interior removal.

Dad again, showing off his big guns.  Not even sure he unbolted that seat.

This is later, but it's all that was left inside for awhile, time constraints and a few tricky, hidden bolts kept us from getting this thing out.  Notice the previous fiberglass repair on the driver's side floor pan. Somebody had also squirted some caulking or something down into the cowls in an attempt to stop them from leaking.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment